POSITION: Sr. Software Engineer, Back End
REPORTS TO: VP of Engineering
LOCATION: Santa Monica, CA
THE COMPANY: imATHLETE (www.imathlete.com)
imATHLETE is the leading registration engine and social networking site for running, triathlon, cycling, swimming and all participatory sporting events. The company is a leader in the sporting world and has transformed the relationship between event organizers and their participants, and is always seeking new ways to use innovative technology to enhance and inspire athletic participation.
- Referred to as “groundbreaking” and “the platform race directors and timers have been waiting for.”
- Clients and partners include USA Triathlon, Conquer Endurance Group/Los Angeles Marathon, Bike New York, Twin Cities in Motion, Dallas Marathon, Detroit Marathon, and thousands of others.
- Serving an incredibly fast growing participatory athletics market:
- Last year (2015) 18.75 million Americans finished a road race and 550,600 finished a marathon (an all-‐time high).
- There were 1,200 U.S. marathons in 2014, four times more than in 2000.
- Road racing is projected to be a $1.4-‐billion-‐and-‐growing industry (which in turn feeds, among other beneficiaries, a $3 billion running shoe sector).
THE OPPORTUNITY: SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER, BACK END
imATHLETE is rapidly growing and in need of a skilled Sr. Software Engineer for the back end to help design and build a scalable and streamlined code base.
- Design, develop and deploy high-‐volume scalable APIs using modern development techniques while following best practices
- Proactively refactor the code-‐base to improve quality and help foster a culture of engineering excellence
- Write high quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a fast-‐paced dynamic environment
- Provide development leadership to any junior or intermediate staff when needed and perform code reviews
- Work with various teams through all aspects of the development lifecycle following an agile, iterative and phased approach
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE: QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
EDUCATION: 5+ years of relevant experience; a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science is a plus
EXPERIENCE: Experience with small teams in an agile production environment preferred
- Excellent general programming skills and understanding of OO concepts
- Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- Experience building scalable systems and deploying cloud-‐based infrastructure (such as AWS)
- Experience building and debugging complex systems in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail, willing to sweat the small stuff, but mindful of deadlines
- Effective communicator: verbal, written and interpersonal. Able to communicate to both technical and non-‐ technical audiences is a must.
- A team player, willing to roll up their sleeves to help the company grow and accomplish the needed technology milestones
- You must be able to keep a regular schedule at our Santa Monica office
- Competitive salary + benefits.
- Participate in the company’s Active Lifestyle Program with reimburses in participation in any type of active lifestyle events (i.e. snowboarding, biking, hiking, etc.)
- Employee Volunteer Program = 1 day per quarter to take off and volunteer.
- Work with an entrepreneurial team that is passionate about their work while having work/life balance.
- imATHLETE's support team, account managers, development team, sales folks and everybody else collaborates and communicates across all departments and functions to build a platform users will love.
- At 25 full-‐time employees, the company is a close knit community of friends first, colleagues second.